Become A Deputy
Job Title SHERIFF PATROL DEPUTY - Department SHERIFF'S OFFICE
Responsible for performing necessary tasks to satisfy, requirements legislated under the Powers and Duties of the Sheriff found in Tennessee Code Annotated, Chapters 8-8-201 and 8-8-213.
Graduation from an accredited high school or possess GED at the time of application, minimum age of 21. Must be of high moral character. Discharged under honorable conditions from Armed Forces, if applicable. Will be screened for misdemeanor/felony record. (Must not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to, or entered a plea of no contest to any felony charge or to any violation of federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor or controlled substances.) Attend and successfully complete a State of Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) approved basic police training academy, or otherwise meet minimum certification requirements of the P.O.S.T. Commission. (PROOF OF EDUCATION IS REQUIRED).
- Must be willing to work various shifts, holidays, and weekends.
- Must be able to pass a physical ability test upon satisfying initial minimum qualifications.
- Must be able to pass a written examination.
- Must submit to and be able to successfully complete a comprehensive background investigation.
- After receiving a contingent offer of employment, must be able to pass diagnostic and medical evaluation, and be subject to testing for substance abuse.
- Must reside in Wayne County by date of employment, and must remain a resident of Wayne County.
- Must be a US Citizen at the time of application.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Executes and returns process orders of the courts of record.
- Aids and attends the courts as assigned.
- Takes charge of custody of prisoners in the County Jail.
- Serves, executes, and processes legally issued writs.
- Makes initial investigations in response to dispatched calls for service.
- Reviews and polices high accident locations and gives citations to violators.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned to fulfill the requirements placed upon the office of Sheriff by the Legislature of the State of Tennessee.
- Performs related responsibilities as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations applicable.
- Knowledge of traffic safety, or the use, care and operation of the patrol vehicle under all conditions; and of the use and care of firearms and police liability.
- Ability to master thorough on-the-job training during the first years of services.
- Ability to deal with the public with courtesy and tact.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and independent decision making.
- Ability to use self-defense techniques.
Wayne County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national orgin or handicap status
Equal Opportunity Employer
CALL THE SHERIFF AT 931-722-3615
See something, say something!
do you have information?
© Wayne County Sheriff. All Rights Reserved. 931-722-3615. Web Design by Foo Web Development.
Criminal Justice Portal | Crime Lab Reports | Email Portal